Janet is a shareholder at Schroeter Goldmark & Bender (SGB) and has been with the firm since 1987. Prior to joining SGB, she was the supervisor of the felony division of the Seattle-King County Public Defender Office and did appellate work with the Alaska Public Defender Office. She has worked as a trial attorney for 24 years trying personal injury and criminal cases.
Janet is past president of the Washington State Association of Justice and was Trial Lawyer of the Year for 1997. She has an educational background in engineering that gives her special insight into complex technical issues. Janet represents families of people who have been injured or killed in serious automobile or industrial accidents as well as people discriminated against at work. As a former public defender, Janet has insight into how to hold states and cities accountable for their failure to control dangerous criminals.
- King County jury verdict against the state compensating a woman who was brutally raped by a prison parolee who was not properly supervised. The Washington Supreme Court affirmed the jury award and established a new law governing supervision of parolees.
- $1.3 million verdict for injuries suffered in a semi-trailer accident on I-5. The client was permanently injured causing him to retire at 56 years of age.
- The largest jury verdict in Kitsap County in any personal injury case, resulting in compensation to the family of a pipe fitter who suffered from an asbestos related cancer. The Washington Supreme Court affirmed the jury’s decision and struck down the legislative cap on damages.
DISCLAIMER: This is the fine print, but our fine print is regular size and in clear language. These client quotes and settlement/verdict figures are examples of the results we have obtained for others. Their cases were different from yours, so your result is sure to be different. We post these results for you to see that we have a track record of hard work, client service, and trial success. We won’t guarantee the results of your case, but we will guarantee to bring the same passion, skill, and experience when we fight for you.
- Purdue University, B.S. A.E., 1973
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 1979
- Washington State
- Alaska State
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional and Civic Involvement
- Trial Lawyer of the Year Award, 1997
- President, Washington State Association of Justice, 1999-2000
- WSTLA President’s Award, Washington State Association of Justice, August 2002
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Listed in “The Best Lawyers in America, 2011