Rebecca has earned a reputation as a highly effective trial attorney. In over 30 years practicing law, she has represented thousands of clients seeking justice for sex crimes, harassment, unfair work conditions, and wrongful death. Since joining SGB in 1994, Rebecca has focused on personal injury cases for victims of violent crime and sexual assault, employment law, including wage and hour class actions, sexual harassment, discrimination, and general personal injury involving serious harm.
Rebecca served as a deputy in the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office in Seattle for 18 years, serving as the Supervising Attorney of the Special Assault Unit for most of those years. During her tenure, Rebecca was a nationally recognized leader in the prosecution of crimes affecting women and children, including co-authoring the first nationwide manual of prosecution of child abuse. In 1993, she was the first public sector attorney to receive the King County Bar Association Outstanding Lawyer Award. She was named Trial Lawyer of the Year by WSAJ in 2008. Rebecca is a member of the bar in Washington state as well as U.S. District Courts in Washington, the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. She graduated from Seattle University School of Law in 1977.
- $4 million paid by the State of Washington for a client injured in a crash with a state trooper.
- $6.2 million jury verdict against State of Washington Department of Social and Health Services for negligent licensing and monitoring of foster homes on behalf of four children who suffered abuse while in foster care.
- $650,000 settlement with the Archdiocese of Seattle and other church organizations on behalf of a man sexually abused by Catholic priests and Christian Brothers as a child and adolescent.
- Confidential settlement with Federal Way (Washington) School District on behalf of a man sexually abuse by a school teacher and coach during the 1980s.
- $2.7 million settlement for the family of a firefighter killed while attempting to fight a warehouse arson fire.
- $5.5 million paid by the State of Washington and King County to settle the lawsuit brought by the family of a man who was fatally stabbed by a chronically mentally ill man with a long history of violent behavior.
- $4 million settlement against the State of Washington for placing children in foster care where they were physically and sexually abused.
- Successful class actions against Taco Bell resulting in thousands of employees receiving millions of dollars in back wages in the state of Washington (1997) and the state of Oregon (2003), and Walmart in the state of Oregon.
- Millions of dollars in confidential settlements for client who have been sexually assaulted.
- $2.5 million settlement from the City of Seattle for a woman killed in a flood in her home.
DISCLAIMER: This is the fine print, but our fine print is regular size and in clear language. These client quotes and settlement/verdict figures are examples of the results we have obtained for others. Their cases were different from yours, so your result is sure to be different. We post these results for you to see that we have a track record of hard work, client service, and trial success. We won’t guarantee the results of your case, but we will guarantee to bring the same passion, skill, and experience when we fight for you.
- University of Washington, B.A., 1973
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., 1977
- Washington State
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Professional and Civic Involvement
- Washington State Association of Justice (board member and president 2012-2013)
- Washington Employment Lawyers Association
- National Crime Victim Bar Association (president 2009)
- Washington Pattern Jury Instruction Committee
- Citizen Observer, Seattle Police Department Firearms Review Board
- Pro bono work for King County Sexual Assault Resource Center, NARAL, Legal Voice (formerly Northwest Womens Law Center)
- King County Bar Association
- American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children
- Governor’s Domestic Violence Action Group